Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Lifting Post-Holiday Spirits with Bread Pudding!

I find myself rich in Panetone - that wonderful Italian fruit cake that, in my opinion, far surpasses the traditional English version.  We actually eat it every Holiday season.

At any rate, this year we scored three loaves of Panetone made locally by Wild Flour Bakery - well known at many of the Farmers' Markets -  and now carried by Green Aisle Grocery on Passyunk Avenue.  I have about one and 1/2 panetone's left - I have been keeping them cold and wrapped well. Wild Flour's Panetone is among the best I have ever had.

So - now is the time for Bread Pudding!  I am just getting started on this one so I will post a picture later, but if you have these, or really any breads, laying around and looking towards being tossed soon - they will be perfect for this ageless dessert.

I think I am going to add some thinly sliced apples too.  Because I have them.

Most Bread Pudding recipes consist of milk, some eggs, cinnamon, maybe some sugar and vanilla, and of course the bread - you can find as many recipes as you have cookbooks.  I'll let you know which one I've used when I post the final product.

PS:  it's also a good excuse to get your oven on for awhile (warms up the room) and to fill at least your first floor with the fabulous aroma of baking.  Another way to lift your spirits on a cold and gray day!

What are you cooking on the coldest day of winter so far?



No comments:

Post a Comment