Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bread Pudding Accomplished!

As promised, I just finished putting together my first winter beating comfort food, Bread Pudding.

To the left, the basis of the bread pudding: Panetone from Wild Flour Bakery.

I offer how I built the dish, but as mentioned, you can find hundreds of recipes - and one important note:  if you are using regular bread, not a fruit filled, sweet bread like panetone, you will want more sugar than I used here.

It took virtually no active time.  I had about a loaf of panetone.  I used a quart of whole milk, 6 farm fresh eggs, a teaspoon of vanilla, a tablespoon of sugar,  2 tablespoons of cinnamon and whisked it all together. I used 2 large pats of butter to grease the baking pan. I tore up the panetone into pieces and spread them out in the buttered pan -  the size of the pieces is entirely up to you.  I baked it, uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. 

By the way, I skipped the apples - panetone has such great dried fruit in it already, I didn't want to interfere with its own flavors.
whip together milk, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon

Pour the milk mixture over the torn panetone which has been spread in the buttered pan
Out of the oven and resting


Some options if you want to add another layer of flavor would be whipped cream and/or caramel sauce.  Bread Pudding keeps well in the 'fridge for a few days.  Enjoy!

And please share your winter beating comfort dishes!



















No comments:

Post a Comment