Wednesday, March 13, 2013

An Urban Garden Adventure Begins

Not to wax too philosophical about it, but I feel like I have been planning and learning and working through failures and successes for a number of past growing seasons just to get to THIS year of growing. This will be the year I get serious - and will have serious expectations - about having a successful tiny urban farm.

It's the year I will plant and tend more edible crops than ever before. We are also hoping to have a bit more in the way of color and cutting flowers. We have made some investments in the garden over the winter which will allow this to happen and for that I am very grateful.

I have a great deal of seeds and seedlings on order and am gradually building up my supply of bags of soil, plant tags, and hose attachments - among other things. I am watching closely as some perennial plantings begin to peek out from the soil. For example I have a nice start of Garlic Chives already (see photo). Our ancient Sage plant is budding a bit, as well.

Over the coming weeks I will be writing about what we are growing here at Il Moya, about getting the crops in and my experiences, successes and non-successes. I will also be sharing recipes and techniques for using the bounty of the season.

As you know, we have been learning and planning and making changes in the way we live for some time now. Self sufficiency, re-use, rescue and recycle and a smaller carbon footprint are all goals we strive for everyday.

I hope at the end of this growing season to be able to say that we were pretty successful and that the garden produced a lot for us to eat, to share, to can, to dry and to freeze.

This will be an adventure; one of joy and hard work and a lot of fun.

Stay tuned and stay in touch.



No comments:

Post a Comment