Saturday, February 2, 2013

Microwave or No Microwave! That is My Question

Our ancient and rather large microwave is gone. Well it's about to be gone as it is doing very scary things when we attempt to use it for the "big three": heating water, melting butter, and heating milk for hot chocolate. For years, those three activities have been its raison d'ĂȘtre. Truly. Guests have used it for other things but I have never liked food cooked in microwaves - I mean when I can avoid it, of course. On business trips, I always went for the hotels that offered a microwave - then for the whole trip I went out for meals and/or lived on baked potatoes, salads, and steam-in-bag veggies. OK, back to the current situation. A couple of times this week, the unit threw a few scary shots of what I can only describe as light bolts at us - so, we get the message. Microwave heaven awaits.

I look at the kitchen cabinet it sits in and think, "Wow, I could sure get a lot in there; maybe add a shelf or two. Save a lot of trips down to the basement pantry". It's always about space around here.

And so my question: should we replace it or do what we've talked about for a couple of years now, and break the microwave habit totally?

How many folks out there live and cook without them? I know that foodies take an "attitude" towards using them for actual cooking, but do they hold on to them anyway?

I would love to hear from others as to what they see as the the pros and cons of both replacing and learning to live without a microwave.

And now, take a good look at this chart. For goodness sake and in all seriousness: Eat More Kale!!!





1 comment:

  1. Just my 2 cents (yes, I have to type it out because there is NO LONGER A "cents" sign...that bugs me!): I use my microwave for re-heating leftovers and for a quick cheese melt on a dish and for reheating coffee or tea. For these reasons I would keep it. I never "cook" in it, though. For some reason, it just doesn't taste the same and it's not FUN!!!!

    ReplyDelete