Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Guilty Food Pleasures - Confessions of a Foodie



Over the weekend I was exchanging some of my favorite "bad" foods with a good friend.  His suggestion was that, as a self professed, very vocal Foodie, I should "come out" and tell people what guilty pleasures I engage in from time to time.  His point?  People think those of us who are obsessed with fresh, local, humanely raised, non-processed foods need to let the rest of the world know that there are some less than perfect, less than fresh, highly processed, food products we find comforting and good and that we eat once in awhile.  In other words, "get off your high horse".  So, OK, I am sharing here in the hopes that some of you will share your favorite bad for you/processed foods, too.  This could be interesting so don't hold back - let's hear from you too!

I have to start with probably the most offensive product and my all time favorite:  Stove Top Stuffing.  Yes, as much as I adore my own, and others, home made stuffing, I likewise adore Stove Top.  I will sit down to a plate of it - with nothing else.  The "by serving" container they came out with a few years ago is perfect for me too.  I can get a "fix" - in a small amount.

But wait, there's more:

Kraft Mac 'n Cheese (the original box) - which I don't eat so much anymore - it was an addiction I developed way back during the college/poor years.  I still look at their commercials with lust.

Lipton Dry Chicken Noodle Soup Mix - a bowl of this "soup" is a real comfort to me, especially when accompanied by Matzoh crackers with a bit of butter.  Lots of pepper in the soup.  Recently they came out with a "double noodles" version - heaven!

American Cheese (preferably Land 'o Lakes) - always in our 'fridge.  Cheese sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches, on 'burgers, and "straight up" with French's bright yellow mustard spread on each slice.  Frankly that last treatment is the one I eat the most.

Campbell's Cream of Tomato Soup (made with milk of course) - I sometimes throw a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce in a bowl of this, again, with lots of pepper.

Iceberg Lettuce/Russian Dressing/Bacos - It's the green with no food value - maybe that's why I love it so.  Tear up the iced cold lettuce, make a dressing of ketchup, mayo, and relish, glop it on the lettuce, sprinkle with Bacos and enjoy!  I tend to get heavy with the fresh ground pepper here too. What's with the pepper theme!?!

Bugles - How can you not love those crispy little snacks?  In my opinion, they go with everything or nothing at all.

OK, so these are my main offenders, I think. I was a serious junk food addict for years, even though I was buying fresh, local, well raised food products, I found a way to sneak in lots of the bad stuff.  I have gotten that under control for the most part.  The above represents most of what has remained - as an occasional Guilty Pleasure.

What are yours????


No comments:

Post a Comment