Monday, February 24, 2014

Smoked Turkey London Broil - Turkey Pastrami


        My Bradley Hard at Work

Note:  This recipe was also published at the Bradley Smoker North American Website

As another one of the Bloggers for Bradley, I am very excited to be joining some really talented cooks and food writers in exploring all of the wonderful things that can be done with Bradley smokers.  It is very motivating to be part of helping people to get the most out of these wonderful smokers.

I am not going to sugar coat it:  I am a novice smoker!  Oh, I have used my big Weber Kettle from time to time with a tray of wood chips, and quite a long time ago, I purchased a very inadequate, poorly constructed smoker which got very limited use.  So my experiences with my Bradley will be like many readers: a new direction and an adventure!

We have access to good, drug free, pasture raised poultry in Philadelphia through many local producers and farmers markets.  Quite some time ago, one of those producers introduced me to Turkey London Broil.  The cut is really one whole side of the bird, from breast to thigh.  It's very versatile, responds wonderfully in marinades, and is usually large enough to feed a crowd!  

I came across a recipe for "turkey pastrami" in one of my grilling cook books,  so I purchased the turkey and set out on the maiden voyage of my new Bradley.

As you will, I hope, see, the final product was awesome!  For this recipe, it's really all about the marinade and the smoker!  Both did an extraordinary job.

Smoked Turkey Pastrami

Ingredients

1 Three to Four pound Turkey London Broil
4 teaspoons cracked Peppercorns
2 tablespoons Coriander
4 teaspoons Brown Sugar
6 Garlic Cloves, minced
8 teaspoons of sea salt
4 teaspoons of sweet paprika
3 teaspoons of mustard seeds
2 teaspoons of ground ginger


   Turkey London Broil after 24 hours in the refrigerator 


Techniqe
Mix and pound all of the spices together - I used a large, stone mortar and pestle
Rub the spice mixture all over both sides of the turkey london broil
Place the turkey in a glass casserole or large plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight

The next day, remover the turkey from the refrigerator and let it stand for 2 hours
Rub the smoker rack with oil - I used canola
Preheat the smoker to 210 degrees F
Place the turkey on the oiled rack and smoke it for three hours for a 3 pound turkey london broil
       ~ until an instant thermometer reads 140 degrees F

Let the turkey rest for about 20 minutes
For an authentic, "pastrami" appearance, slice very thinly in long pieces.

 The Turkey London Broil right out of the Bradley
      
       The Sliced Turkey Pastrami

Serving Suggestion:  This makes a delicious sandwich on rye bread, with a bit of butter and some good mustard, and perhaps some cole slaw.  You will think, "Pastrami". 

No comments:

Post a Comment