Sunday, January 27, 2013

Repurposing that Potato Soup - "Potato Soup Frittata"




No I have not lost my mind!  Remember that easy potato soup recipe I recently posted?  Well this morning while thinking about Brunch (it's Brunch on Sundays), I came across about a cup of the soup in the 'fridge.

I had a moment of clarity - fed undoubtedly by a good deal of high octane coffee - I thought that the leftover soup with its bacon bits, tiny chunks of potato and cream would play well with eggs and cheese in a fluffy frittata.

Here's the preparation.  It is delicious and fluffy and full of potato flavor. I will do exactly the same thing next time I make Cream of Potato Soup.

Preparation

Ingredients

One cup of leftover Cream of Potato Soup (it will be nice and thick the way cream soups get in the refrigerator - you want that)

Two egg whites (I had them in the 'fridge because I had made mayonaisse the day before)
Four large eggs

A pinch of Baking Powder

Two or three chopped scallions

Hot pepper rings - the "sandwich style" in the jar - If you don't like spicy, just leave these out

Four Tablespoons of butter


Technique

Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium sized cast iron pan
Sauté the green onions and the hot peppers in the butter

Whisk the egg whites, the eggs and the left over soup in a bowl - whisk well to incorporate everything

Whisk in the Baking Powder

Pour the whisked mixture into the hot cast iron pan, over the scallions and peppers
Give the whole mixture a stir to incorporate everything

Cover and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes

Lift up and check the bottom of the frittata, if it is brown, invert the frittata out onto a large plate

Drop the remaining butter into the cast iron pan

Slide the frittata back into the pan, top side down

Let it cook for another five minutes or so.

Remove pan from the heat and let it stand for five minutes

Slice and Serve












No comments:

Post a Comment